Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Live from Miami......a.k.a "Little Cuba"

So I started my day off this morning waking up at 3:45 AM and made my way down to Ft. Lauderdale for a meeting. The day started off normal but began to take a turn for the better (or funnier, you decide).

After landing in the ATL me and the guy traveling with me began to walk toward our gate for our connection. We began on the escalator to our terminal and got to the end of the escalator and there on the floor of the Atlanta airport was a man laying there face down with medical personnel around him telling him to stay still. What??? Did this guy trip and roll down the escalator? Did he pass out drunk on the escalator at 7:00 AM? Strange huh?? As bad as it sounds I didn't stick around to watch......I got a plane to catch.

So once we took care of business in Ft. Lauderdale I began the drive down toward Miami for the night. I have never been to the Miami area before and have heard lots of things about it....none of them really very good. One thing I had heard is that it is very diverse. No one told me it was like walking off into a pool of Cubans!! This is a city in America right? We ate lunch at a local Spanish fast food place called Pollo Tropical (www.pollotropical.com) and when I ordered (a cuban sandwich of course, no....really) the lady gave me a choice between two sides in some language I have never heard before (couldn't have been Spanish). All I could do was look at the guy with me and say "huh". He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away.......so I just said "Fries?" and she nodded her head and rung up my order.

When I checked into my hotel, the attendant was Spanish, I drove into South Miami Beach for dinner and my waitress was Spanish. Yes Bre, Marsha, & Michelle this is what you consider "living it up". I don't know about you guys but I don't really consider eating by yourself in a Spanish speaking restaurant could be considered living it up!? The view was nice, but even the food was a Spanish version of Tilapia. How do you screw up Tilapia?? Every radio stations I scanned in the rental car were all in Spanish....there were like 100. I finally found one that wasn't and it was Hip Hop (Sorry you missed it Bre).

So that is my experience in Miami so far. I hope you can all relate to the story and I hope you find it entertaining, I know I do.

Tomorrow..........Off to Jacksonville. Hopefully I will have a good story.

6 comments:

  1. I consider eating food alone with an ocean view "TOTALLY LIVING IT UP"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's even better that they don't speak English because then you don't feel like you have to make small talk with them. Scott has a fraternity brother who is a bartender in Miami. His name is Broy Rodriguez. Look him up in the phone book. He's bilingual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bre, I agree. At this moment I would love to suffer like Joseph is. Even if no one speaks English - even better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. It looks like I need some more men to read my blog....I apparently have no sympathy from the women of the blog world. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just for the record, I'd trade a quiet dinner in Miami surrounding by my Spanish-speaking brothers over coming to work any day. I'm not much on small talk anyway. Sorry Joe, but no sympathy from me either......

    ReplyDelete